Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is running properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Inhaling too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it inspected. The experts at Knoechel Heating Company can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, our technicians will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the experts at Knoechel Heating Company in Zelienople around to help, too. Give us a call at 724-425-5852 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.