With adequate maintenance, your air conditioner can last 15 years or more. But even the most well- maintained air conditioner will need to be updated at some point.
When you’re beginning to plan for air conditioning installation in Zelienople, we are aware that the expense is at the top of your list of questions. The good news is that installing a new air conditioner could be more economical than you think it is, thanks to rebates, our special offers and financing for qualified customers. You’ll also receive better energy efficiency, which will usually pay off over the years through less expensive electricity bills.
Here’s what to anticipate when you’re replacing your air conditioner.
When to Replace Your Air Conditioner
Knowing when to repair or replace your air conditioner can be hard. Here’s what our professionals advise.
- Your air conditioner is more than 10 years old. While some could run longer, the majority of air conditioners run for around 15 years with regular maintenance. We recommend planning for air conditioning replacement close to the 10-year point. Even if you install a new one when it’s only a decade old, the U.S. Department of Energy says this tweak could save you 20-40% on cooling expenses.
- You’ve avoided annual maintenance for a long time. Just like a car, you cooling system needs annual air conditioning maintenance. Overlooking this critical service can cause lower efficiency, more recurring repairs and even a decreased life span.
- Your air conditioner has to have frequent or expensive repairs. Needing air conditioning repair is usually the outcome of skipping service. But as your air conditioner ages, it’s more likely to suffer a major breakdown. When repairs are higher than half the cost of a new air conditioner, we recommend getting a new one.
- Your residence feels unpleasant. If your residence feels too humid or you’re having hot and cold spots in specific rooms, your air conditioner may be having a hard time keeping up. This is a hint you need to replace it.
- Your energy bills are expensive. Your air conditioner becomes less efficient as it ages. As a consequence, it might need to work more repeatedly or longer to keep your residence at your desired temp. Newer air conditioners have the latest energy-efficient technology to keep your residence comfy and energy bills down.
- Your air conditioner uses R-22 refrigerant. If your air conditioner was installed before 2010, there’s a decent chance it has Freon. Also referred to as R-22, this refrigerant is no longer being manufactured because of its bad effects on the environment. You can carry on with using your air conditioner, but if it were to develop a refrigerant leak, solving that would be very expensive. This is since R-22 is only available in limited, recycled amounts.
- Your air conditioner is under 10 years old. If your air conditioner is newer, it’s ideal to repair it.
- Repairs aren’t common or reasonable. The wisest way to avoid emergency repairs is to have yearly maintenance done. But when repairs are only needed every so often or are economical, repair your air conditioner.
- Your air conditioner has a valid warranty. Most air conditioners include a 5- to 10-year limited warranty that typically covers the compressor. Your exact warranty length is determined by your manufacturer, but it offers valuable protection in the event of a big failure. If your air conditioner is covered by warranty, we advise fixing it.
Air Conditioner Cost
The majority of homeowners spend around $4,631 on a new air conditioner, based on national averages compiled by HomeGuide. Air conditioner cost averages often range from $3,350 to $5,912, but your total cost could be lower or higher.
There are several aspects that influence your total cost, including:
- The air conditioner model you choose, as more energy-efficient ones are more expensive.
- The size your home needs.
- If you need to replace your ductwork, which can be required if your ductwork is dated or damaged.
We provide free estimates at Knoechel Heating Company so you can know you’re getting a good deal. And with our complete range of air conditioners, there’s an energy-efficient model that fits just about any budget.
Air Conditioner Size
Air conditioner size is essential. A system that’s undersized will have difficulty keeping your home cool. And one that’s oversized might turn on and off too many times, or short cycle. This action can increase your energy bill and wear your air conditioner out more quickly. This may also create temperature instabilities and make your house feel less cool.
At Knoechel Heating Company, our pros have many years of experience in accurately sizing and installing the right air conditioner for your home. The ideal size depends on how large your home is, along with a few other factors. Some of the most common sizes include:
- 2 ton, which cools up to 1,000 square feet
- 3 ton, which cools up to 1,600 square feet
- 4 ton, which cools up to 1,900 square feet
- 5 ton, which cools more than 2,000 square feet
Other things that can influence air conditioner size are:
- The climate in Zelienople
- Ductwork quality and age
- How many windows you have and the style, as large or picture windows might be less efficient
- If your house gets more sun or shade
- Insulation quality and thickness
- How many people live in your home
Your air conditioner’s efficiency is linked to its SEER, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. This number measures how proficiently it transforms electricity to create cooling. The greater the number, the more efficient the air conditioner is.
When you’re buying a new air conditioner, it’s important to realize:
- Dated air conditioners are ranked around 8-9 SEER.
- Updated air conditioners start at 13 SEER. Ones installed in the southwest and southeast must be a minimum of 14 SEER due to U.S. Department of Energy regulations. As of 2017, these SEER rating requirements have saved homeowners trillions of dollars.
- ENERGY STAR®-certified air conditioners begin at 14.5 SEER.
- Higher SEER-rated air conditioners include extra features to help you save more. These features may entail variable-speed cooling. Instead of operating at full blast constantly, these air conditioners can fine-tune blower speeds based on your cooling needs. This creates quieter and more energy-efficient cooling. While an air conditioner with a better SEER rating is usually pricier, it might be eligible for valuable rebates. And the energy savings over its lifetime could help it pay for itself.
Start Your Air Conditioning Installation with Knoechel Heating Company Right Away
When you’re preparing for air conditioning replacement, the company who installs it is just as essential as the model you choose. Knoechel Heating Company is one of the top names for air conditioning installation in Zelienople. From helping you choose the ideal solution for your residence to going over financing options to professional installation, working with our pros is a breeze. Call us at 724-425-5852 to begin today!