While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 724-425-5852. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Zelienople weather.