On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Knoechel Heating Company in Zelienople about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the amount of time between expert cleanings.
First and foremost, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Knoechel Heating Company. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Knoechel Heating Company about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Zelienople home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Knoechel Heating Company a call at 724-425-5852.