Summer weather in Zelienople can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to make it easy.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfortable and sustain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and Knoechel Heating Company can assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure correct system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is consistently checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could boost energy bills and damage your equipment, which could lead to early failure. Our Knoechel Heating Company experts will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home cool and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people seem to forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your home.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Knoechel Heating Company at call at 724-425-5852 or request an appointment with us online.