You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a few things you can inspect, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prepare for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly predicament.
- Compile supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace is out. It could seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this occurs, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the probability is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at Knoechel Heating Company a call at 724-425-5852 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.